“The Forest Is the Moon in Slivers” was a theatrical dance production of a work-in-progress presented on Dec. 30, 2018 at the Scoundrel and Scamp Theatre by myself and musician Vicki Brown. It incorporated the following elements:
- video screening of collected improvisational dances I conducted in forests as movement research;
- reading of collected material comprised of personal history;
- sound recordings of sky islands forests;
- information about the sky islands ecosystem;
- the science of how forests work;
- shadow puppet theatre about the formation and evolution of the sky islands;
- excerpts of conversations with firefighters, fire ecologists, and dendochronoligists;
- monologues and dialogues ant, fungus, sapling, and stone;
- improvisational dance works created with Vicki Brown.
The performance lasted ~45 minutes, followed by Q/A and conversation, and hot cocoa.
Special thanks to the Arts Foundation of Tucson and Southern Arizona for supporting this work via a New Works grant and to Scoundrel & Scamp Theatre for hosting it.
Stills from video by Leslie Epperson.